Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Secret Of Terror Castle

A sterling, well-written story that sets the series off to a flying start. The characters are well-drawn, the locations ably described and the genuine sense of fear and spookiness, around Terror Castle, is well evoked. The story does feel a bit slight, but that’s only to be expected as the book needs space to set everything up. Well worth a read and the only thing that dates this (it’s 46 years old!) is the fact that a silent film-star plays a major part in it. A cracking book.

3 comments:

  1. For whatever reason, I never could get into the Hardy Boy Books or Nancy Drew. I remember seeing a copy of Terror Castle and as a kid I couldn't put it down and kept up with the series from then on. This is one of my favorite favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good book! I wish the review was a bit more detailed, but I understand how hard these things are to write. I started a review of the New Bobbsey Twins paperback series, and other juvenile mystery series, and kind of lost interest in doing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. Last year, for the 50th anniversary, I re-reviewed my top 10 (plus a few more) and did them in more detail but Terror Castle wasn't one of them. You can find the more detailed reviews at this link - http://markwestwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/my-three-investigators-all-time-top-10.html

      Delete