Wednesday 10 November 2010

The Mystery Of Monster Mountain

Hans & Konrad travel up to Sky Village, to stay with their cousin Anna and the boys tag along for a camping trip. However, it’s soon obvious that everything isn’t as it should be. Never one of my favourites, with this re-read, I’ve revised that opinion slightly - it’s well written, fast paced and has some nice interplay between the boys. However, the main mystery (not the title one) has such a preposterous explanation that it does feel very contrived, whilst the monster - obviously the big draw (title and artwork)- has only the most minor part to play. Not as bad as I remembered it, this is far from the worst TTI book and is worth a read.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The monster, as happens in many M.V. Carey stories, seems to be there just to get some supernatural theme into the title. I remember that I liked this story when I was a child but I think your use of the word "contrived" sums my feelings up pretty well. I'd give the story six out of ten.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this book with my 8th-grade son, and we both agree that the premises (the Anna Schmid mirror situation and the mystery monster) are contrived. Thanks for posting your review.

    ReplyDelete